1. Do you think being a walk-on helped you in any way and if so how? “I’d say so because I know what it takes to earn a spot. Coming into a program/team that might not know who I am, I am more comfortable in that sort of situation.” The dedication Murray showed to go from being a walk-on to a 4th round pick is unmatched.
2. Would you rather have a game-winning hit or make a game-saving play at shortstop? “Game-saving play for sure!” Murray was the everyday shortstop at UC Davis and had his fair share of web gems.
3. At what point in your career did you know you had a good chance of getting drafted? “When I found out that I was going to play in the Cape Cod League, that’s when it really hit me that this is a real possibility.” Tanner hit .375 in the 2019 Cape Cod playoffs for the Orleans Firebirds.
4. What’s your favorite moment of your career so far? “Scoring the winning run in the 24-inning game against LMU this year. The relief and celebration with the team was definitely a top moment.” The UC Davis Aggies won that marathon game 4-3 as Murray led the team with 3 runs and 3 hits.
5. Which MLB player are you most excited to possibly meet? “Francisco Lindor or Tim Anderson.” Both of these players are great shortstops that can handle the bat really well.
6. Which MLB player do you think you most emulate? “I’d say Trea Turner or Tim Anderson.” I could definitely see his comparison with Trea Turner because of their similar ability to make consistent contact and impact each game they play in.
7. What intrigues you the most about the Rays? “I seem to fit their style of play. There are younger guys throughout their organization and the way they play the game is an even bigger plus.” I couldn’t agree more. The Rays draft talented young infielders like Tanner Murray in order to create a fun and competitive atmosphere within the organization.